Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Students today

About a month ago the changes of staffing were announced in my school's newsletter. Since then I have had a great many students, in ones and two and threes, approach me with good wishes for my new job, to express their regret at my leaving and gratitude for the work I have done with them. For example at the end of the second lesson today, a young lad of about 13 came up to me and said "it's my last day here Mr Gnomad and I justed wanted to say Good luck in your new job and thank you for being my teacher". I thanked him, we shook hands and he left.

When it became known that my wife had been taken ill a good many students offered their good wishes and have continued to enquire after her health. Quite a few, both Christian and Muslim, offered to remember her in their prayers and we even had get-well-soon cards from a couple of the students.

I felt touched by their concern and genuine interest in my family's well being.

It is students like this that make it worthwhile being a teacher.

G

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home