Thursday, October 05, 2006

Birthday

Yesterday was the Gnomad's birthday. In that great British tradition, I therefore baked cakes the previous day and took them into work to share with my colleagues. People were very complimentary about the rich fruit cake, and since this is one of the Gnomads vanities my ego was suitably boosted on this special day :)

In respect of Ramadan and my colleagues who were fasting, I cut and wrapped several pieces of cake so that they could each take some home for Iftar.

The traditon also applies for any momentous occasion so it is usual to announce what the cakes are for. This was duly done on the intranet. My colleagues apparently divulged this information to my classes. Every class I had that day sang "Happy Birthday" to me, I recieved a number of cards from colleagues and students, and my year eleven students bought my favourite coffee (Caramel Machiato with extra caramel) from the coffee shop and arranged to have it delivered to my classroom.

In the evening two of my colleagues took me out for dinner. They are a delightful couple with an equally delightful three year old daughter who came with us. We went to a restaurant called the Thai House and a splendid time was had by all. This restaurant was one of those cheap and cheerful places of which the Gnomad is so fond. The food was plentiful, cheap and delicious. We had almost every variety of South East Asian Shrimp dish you can imagine, shrimp with sweet chilli, with noodles, in fried rice, with another sauce which was largely ginger, in batter as tempura, and we also had some local white fish in black bean sauce. My friends had orange juice which was actually freshly squeezed for them, not out of a carton, and I had iced tea with lemon. You have to be a bit careful with any kind of beverage here in the gulf, if you're not careful it will appear laden with sugar, several tablesppons to a pitcher. I always ask for "no sugar" when ordering juices or shakes and "only little sugar" in iced tea and then hope for the best. My iced tea with lemon was absolutely spot on, just how I like it. I shall certainly be going back there again.

A really fun day at work followed by a very satisfying meal, altogether a very jolly birthday. The only thing that would have made the day better was if Mrs Gnomad could have been there too. Government Relations say they expect some news on the visa situation very shortly, so that is hopeful too.

G

3 Comments:

At 04:18, Blogger Mme Cyn said...

Happyt birthday, Mr. Nomad! Wish I had had some of your cake...

 
At 06:16, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bro lots of love N
ps I'n now on the interweb!

 
At 01:49, Blogger Grumpy Goat said...

I knew it was October, but couldn't remember the date. Many happy returns, Mr Gnomad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home